Tomato, Onion and Goat's Cheese Tart
A delicious tart perfect for a picnic or even a sly snack. This tart stands on its own.
- 100g rice flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons gluten-free cornflour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fine polenta
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 125g unsalted butter, chopped and chilled
- 200g cold mashed potato
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large red onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, chipped
- 2 eggs
- 150ml cream
- 200g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 teaspoon chopping thyme, plus extra for garnishing
- 100g goats cheese
- To make the pastry, pulse the flours, polenta, xanthan gum, baking powder and salt in a food processor to combine. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Transfer to a bowl, add the potato and sesame seeds and mix well with your hands until dough feels smooth and elastic. Knead the pastry for 2-3 minutes until smooth. hape into a ball, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180oC (350oF). Lightly crease a 30 x 21 cm loose-based flan tin.
- Roll out the pastry to form a 32 x 23cm rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Press into the prepared tin, covering the sides and edges, and line the pastry shell with baking paper and pastry weights or uncooked rice.
- Blind bake for 15 minutes. Remove the baking paper and pastry weights and return the pastry case to the oven for a further 5-7 minutes, or until golden. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Increase the oven to 200oC.
- To make the filling, melt the butter and oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring for 15 minutes, or until soft and golden. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Whisk the eggs, egg yolks and cream in a large bowl. Stir in the onion mixture, tomato and thyme, then pour into the pastry case.
- Crumble the goat's cheese over the top and bake for 25 minutes, or until golden.
- Garnish with the extra thyme, season with some more pepper and salt.
Image Credit: Rowie Dillon
Recipe from the book
Indulge: Gluten Free Food Gets A Makeover. 100 Sweet and Savoury Recipes