Cheesy Scalloped Zucchini
- 2 tbsp. butter (plus more for buttering pan)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 c. whole milk
- 2 c. shredded Gruyère, divided
- 1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch nutmeg
- 4 medium zucchini, sliced crosswise into 1/4” coins
- 2 tsp. freshly chopped thyme
- Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375° and butter a medium casserole dish. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Whisk in flour and cook until flour is golden and starts to bubble, about 1 minute more. Add milk and stir until mixture comes to a simmer. Boil until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
- Turn off heat and add 1 cup Gruyère and Parmesan. Stir until cheese has melted, then season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Add a layer of zucchini to the baking dish, overlapping the zucchini slices. Season with salt and pepper and pour about one-third of the cream mixture over zucchini. Sprinkle some of the remaining Gruyère on top, then sprinkle thyme on top of cheese.
- Make two more layers with remaining zucchini slices, cream mixture, cheese and thyme. Bake until bubbly and golden on top, 23 to 25 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve warm.