I was given the book “The Gluten-Free Kitchen” – Feel good food for happy and healthy eating by a close friend. It’s a good go-to recipe book for gluten free items. One of my favourite recipes is the Blueberry and Oatmeal Muffins. Blueberries and muffins are a winning ingredient pairing and when there’s a gluten-free element, then the breakfast picture is complete.
Gluten and Wheat free muffin recipe from "The Gluten-Free Kitchen" cookbook.
- 250ml pure orange juice
- 60g gluten-free, wheat-free oats
- 100g caster sugar
- 200g gluten-free, wheat-free flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp gluten-free bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp cinammon
- 1/4 tsp mixed spice
- 125ml vegetable oil (or olive oil)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1tsp glycerine
- 175g blueberries
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar, to sprinkle
- Preheat the oven to 180oC / 350oF / Gass 4.
- Line a 9-hole deep muffin tray with paper muffin cases
- Add the orange juice to the porridge oats and mix well in a bowl
- In a separate bowl, mix the sugar, flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and spices.
- Add the oil, egg and glycerine to the dry mixture and mix well. Then add the oat mixture and blueberries and fold these in gently.
- Divide the mixture between the muffin cases and sprinkle with demerara sugar.
- Bake the muffins in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.