I bought a Lennox Healthy Choice 3.5 Litre Air Fryer at the beginning of the month. I have been enjoying making recipes from the recipe book, plus others found in cookbooks and recipes online.
Something I had heard about but had never experienced is the Bloomin’ Onion. Famous for being one of the items on the menu at Outback Steakhouse in the USA.
Now I can make it myself! Let me know if you enjoy making it too!
Recipe: Bloomin’ Onion in the Air Fryer
- BLOOMIN' ONION
- 1 large white onion, whole
- 100 grams flour
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 100 grams panko breadcrumbs
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- DIPPING SAUCE
- 75 grams mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon tomato sauce
- 1 pinch garlic salt
- 1 pinch paprika
- Peel the onion and cut off the top. Make 4 slices spaced evenly and cut until 1 centimetre from the bottom of the onion. Do not cut all the way through. The onion should bloom open.
- Place the onion in water for 2 hours
- In a large plastic resealable bag, mix the flour, sea salt and black pepper. Place the onion into the bag and thoroughly coat the onion, remove the onion from the bag and place on a tray.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl and pour evenly over the onion.
- In a smal bowl, mix the panko breadcrumbs, olive oil, garlic powder and paprika. Evenly coat and gently press the breadcrumb mixture onto the onion then place into the frying basket.
- Set the timer for 18-20 minutes and temperature at 180oC.
- Bake until the bloomin' onion is crispy
- For the dipping sauce, mix the mayonnaise, tomato sauce, garlic salt and paprika in a ramekin and top with additional paprika.
- Place the ramekin into the middle of the bloomin' onion. Serve