This week’s Hello Fresh box was amazing! We are still cooking the meals and everything has been so delicious and simple to make. I’ve picked my Hello Fresh meals for the week starting with October 14th and the standout was the Speedy Bacon & Cheese Fettuccine with Mushrooms & Green Salad. Yumm! I love pasta and this sounds amazing!
If you use this link you can get $50 off your first box. That’s only $19.95 for 3 days of meals for 2 people!
There’s a lot to love about this rich bowl of pasta, from the savoury bacon to the deep meatiness of the mushrooms and the gooeyness of the Cheddar cheese. But our favourite part? It’s got to be that it’s on the table in half an hour. That’s our kind of dinner!
- 1 packet bacon
- 1 packet sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 bag parsley
- 1 packet shredded Cheddar cheese (Contains Milk)
- 1 packet thickened cream (Contains Milk)
- 1 packet fettuccine (Contains Gluten)
- ½ pear
- 1 bag baby spinach leaves
- ½ cube chicken stock
- Not included in your delivery
- olive oil
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp honey
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp vinegar (white wine or red wine)
- Get Prepped: Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to the boil. Finely chop the garlic (or use a garlic press). Thinly slice the pear (see ingredients list) into wedges. Finely chop the parsley. Roughly chop the bacon. In a medium bowl, combine the balsamic vinegar, honey, olive oil (1 tbs for 2 people / 2 tbs for 4 people) and a pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Make the creamy sauce: Separate the egg yolk from the white. TIP: Keep the egg white to use in an omelette or meringue! In a medium bowl, combine the egg yolk, thickened cream, shredded Cheddar cheese and crumbled chicken stock (1/2 cube for 2 people /1 cube for 4 people). Season with a pinch of pepper, then whisk with a fork and set aside. TIP: Using just egg yolk in this recipe makes the sauce thick and rich!
- Cook the fettuccine: Add the fettuccine to the saucepan of boiling water and cook until ‘al dente’, 9 minutes. Reserve some pasta water (1/4 for 2 people / 1/2 cup for 4 people), then drain the fettuccine and return to the saucepan. TIP: 'Al dente' means the pasta is cooked through but still has a bit of firmness in the middle.
- Cook the bacon: While the pasta is cooking, heat a large frying pan over a medium-high heat with a drizzle of olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the bacon and cook until crisp, 5-6 minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook until softened, 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic and 1/2 the baby spinach leaves and cook until the spinach has wilted slightly, 1 minute. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the vinegar and cook until evaporated, 1-2 minutes. TIP: Stand back! Vinegar emits a strong vapour when heated.
- Mix everything together: Add the fettuccine and creamy sauce mixture to the frying pan and cook, tossing constantly, until the pasta is coated in the sauce, 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. TIP: If the sauce looks too thick, add a splash of the reserved pasta water to loosen. TIP: If your pan isn't big enough, toss everything together in the saucepan! Add the pear and remaining baby spinach leaves to the medium bowl with the salad dressing. Toss to coat.
- Serve up: Divide the bacon and cheese fettuccine between bowls. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve with the pear salad.